October 27, 2014

Bibla - The Little Library (Book of Mormon - Week Eight)

What is the biggest issue traditional Christians have with Mormons?

I mean, okay, yeah there's lots of issues they have with us (most of which are misconceptions). But the very biggest? I'd venture to say that it's the fact that we have a "second Bible" - the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. It's totally understandable, honestly. If you believed God didn't speak anymore (that's one I would find so hard to accept personally), then why would He present another scripture?

But here's the thing - God does speak. He also speaks to individuals. Have you ever had one of those days that you were knocked down to your knees because you didn't know who else to turn to? I know I have. Tell me, have you ever felt better afterwards? Someone might have come up to you and said just the right thing to help make your day better or solve your problem. That was Heavenly Father's way of telling you He loves you. Whether it is done by Him or by His servants, it is the same (D&C 1:38). Why would God just suddenly stop talking? If He loves all of His children, He would guide all of them through to the very end, not just give a single book of answers and say, "well, I guess that's sufficient". God does not love us a sufficient amount, He loves us more than we can ever imagine. His love is unfathomable - so it only makes sense that He would guide us all until the very end. He knows you by name and loves you more than you could ever know!

In 2 Nephi 29:3, Heavenly Father speaks, saying "many of the Gentiles (and also people in our day) shall say: A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any more Bible."

Maybe you're reading that, saying "Yeah it makes sense. Nothing else needed to be outlined."

But then, look at the word Bible. The word derives from a French word - "bibla," meaning "library." Take that a step further - the Oxford English Dictionary (ooh, fancy) defines the word "bible" as "little library." Even further now! Think about how the Bible was assembled. Way back in the day, all scripture was held in the temples. There were tons and tons of scrolls, plates, papyrus, what have you. Then time passed, and they decided that they wanted a book. So, they took a bit of everything, making a little library of what could be found at the temple.

"A little library! A little library! We have already got a little library, and there cannot be any more little library." Now, doesn't that sound a bit foolish? There's more works there! Who wouldn't want more books in their library?

God goes on, saying in verse 7, "Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?" The Book of Mormon is Christ's account in the Americas. The Bible is mostly in the Middle East. I personally believe that there are perfectly valid scriptures from many lands, even more than just the Middle East and the Americas. Please know - that is my belief, not the LDS Church's belief necessarily. For example, I feel the Tao Te Ching is great scripture - I have felt the Holy Ghost reading that. But that's a discussion for another day.

I know that the Book of Mormon is true scripture, great to add to your "little library" (see what I did there?). I know that God still talks to His children, both individually and personally, but also through His prophet. I have read the book, prayed about it, and can testify that God gave me an answer. I know of its truth. I invite you to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment